Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Slightly Above Frustrated/Dollar Donation Day

Today was supposed to really get the ball rolling. At least that's how I imagined it. At school several people congratulated me on making the local paper like a true celeb. I kept checking my email, expecting the donations to starting coming in, or for some more local businesses to jump on board. Instead, silence. I didn't hear a word from anyone.

Of course, I mostly blame myself. Who in their right mind would give their blog a 14-word long URL? Maybe the biggest blunder in marketing history. I tried to change it before the story ran to "stephencleans.com," but the customer service people over at godaddy.com were less than helpful and all I ended up with was a domain name that points to a place called Error 404.

Now, I'm not in a hurry to have my weekly microwave duty triggered, and frankly I'm afraid for my life when it comes to cleaning the refrigerators, but I'm even more sick of fundraising. There is something draining about asking people for money. Sometimes I feel guilty for soliciting donations from fellow students who I know are just as strapped for cash as I am.

With all this in mind, I decided that this Friday will be Dollar Donation Day. I honestly think we can reach the $2000 dollar goal with people donating nothing more than a single dollar. We just have to find a way to get 1500 people to each give one dollar. Here are some advantages and disadvantages to this approach:

Advantages: One dollar is not a lot. The guy who sells joke books on 13th could spare a dollar. There is probably a dollar in your couch cushions right now, or in that change jar on your dresser.

Disadvantages: In the two weeks or so that this fundraiser has been going, there have only been 27 contributors. Don't get me wrong, I love you all. All I'm saying is, it might be hard to mobilize 1500 people on a single day when so far we've only inspired 27.

I really can't do this by myself, so this is my challenge to you: on Friday April 3rd, give one dollar. You can contribute at the website, or you can bring a little baggy full of pennies to school, it doesn't really matter. The next step will be to mobilize friends, family, or anyone else who has a dollar to spare (even the joke book guy!). Let's see what we can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment